Baked Chicken with Gravy
1 – 1.5 lbs of Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or strips
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk or water
Garlic salt (or Garlic powder), to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
In a bowl, mix soup, milk (or water), and seasonings. Place chicken in a lightly greased (or buttered) baking dish. Pour soup mix over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 45 minutes (up to 1 hour), or until chicken is fully cooked.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
- Brown Gravy is a yummy addition. Mix in a packet of Brown Gravy with your Cream of Mushroom Soup to change it up.
- Mushroom Gravy could also be used instead of cream of mushroom soup.
- Hate mushrooms? Try cream of chicken soup! Be really crazy and try Cheese Soup or Cream Spinach!
- Many soups have MSG. Look for a soup that doesn’t include this ingredient, like Cambpell’s Healthy Request soups.
- Pan fry or quick grill the chicken first to brown the outside. The chicken will cook fully in the oven.
- Throw in a bag of colorful fresh vegetables from the beginning (or frozen vegetables when 20 minutes are left) to add a greater healthy twist to this meal.
- Class it up! Mix 1 pkg Onion Soup mix and 1 small container of soup cream into the Cream of Mushroom Soup. Use chicken broth instead of milk. Quick fry Chicken in a little cooking sherry (or butter and chicken broth) with Basil and Parsley, in addition to the other seasonings. Outside of chicken should be browned. If inside of chicken is not cooked through, it will finish cooking in oven. Put chicken in a buttered casserole dish, cover with soup mixture. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with (or over) Wild Rice.
This meal really takes you about 3 minutes to prepare, especially if you are using box mashed potatoes or minute rice. Serve with steamed broccoli or carrots…or add salad to bring some crunch and color.
This meal gives you amazingly moist, seasoned chicken. I cannot explain how happy I was to try this recipe.
Got your own quick baked chicken dinners? Share your comments and recipes below.