This recipe came about because I wanted to find a fun alternative to using sour cream with my taquitos and burritos. Cheesy goodness trumps sour cream in my book! Although this recipe is very, very similar to my taquito recipe, using the Cream Cheese mixture also helps hold all of the good stuff inside the tortilla until it gets to your mouth 🙂
Also, I used cream cheese inside my enchiladas instead of shredded cheese. So creamy and so, so good!
- 1 ( 10 – 12 oz) Can Chicken
- 1/3 cup of Salsa
- shredded cheese
- Taco seasoning, optional
- 1 package tortillas, taco size
- 1 block of cream cheese, cubed
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, well drained
First, mix can of chicken with salsa. Make sure to shred the chicken as you mix it. Put this in the fridge to sit for 10-15 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Next, cut one block of cream cheese into cubes and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add Cream of Chicken soup. Drain Rotel tomatoes well and add. Microwave in 1 – 2 minute increments, stirring between each, until cream cheese is melted and all ingredients are well mixed. This makes a great dip for tortilla chips!
When chicken/salsa combo is ready, take out of fridge and drain well. Then add a good handful of cheese and 1/4 tsp (or more) of Taco Seasoning. To be honest, I used more like a tablespoon of taco seasoning, but I like stuff spicy. Mix well.
Heat tortillas in microwave or on stove until soft and pliable. Coat the bottom of a 9×13 casserole with about a tablespoon of Cream Cheese mixture.
To create the enchilada: Take one pliable tortilla. Spread a spoonful of Cream Cheese mixture on the tortilla and put a good spoonful or two of filling mixture on the edge. Roll tortilla into a tube and place seam side down in casserole. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
When all tortillas are rolled, top with remaining Cream Cheese mixture. Bake 15 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Will make 6-8 enchiladas, depending on size of tortilla and how generous you are with filling.
–The fun part.
- Hate canned chicken? Use shredded pork or fry up some hamburger meat instead. Cooking is all about you. Make it vegetarian with bell pepper, onion, and beans, if you want!
- Serve with black beans, pinto beans, ranch-style beans, or fat-free beans and Fiesta Rice
- For more spice, use a can of Rotel tomatoes in addition to salsa in the chicken mixture.
- Use prepared crescent rolls or Bisquick mix instead of tortillas.
- Try nacho cheese inside instead of cream cheese.
- Make low fat by using low-fat cheese and low carb with smaller tortillas (or carb-smart tortillas).
Got your own Mexican? Talk to me!