I had planned to make Smothered Chicken Enchiladas but forgot to buy cream cheese. I had really been looking forward to them, so I decided to make do. To be honest the Chicken Enchilada recipe is basically a modified version of the Taquito recipe, so tweaking is fine.
So, I was looking at my fridge and pantry and set out everything that was Mexi-style on my counter. I started mixing and the next thing I knew, I had this super tasty filling.
- 1 ( 10 – 12 oz) Can Chicken
- 1/3 cup of thick/chunky Salsa (about half a small jar of Salsa) Or 1 can Ro-tel (well drained)
- shredded Cheddar cheese (a good handful)
- Taco seasoning (about half a bag)
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream (or to your taste)
Drain chicken well and dump into a small mixing bowl. Add salsa and mix well. Let sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for an 10 – 15 minutes.
Seriously, it was all I could do not to eat this straight from the bowl. Check below for some dinner ideas.
Extra Tip 1: Can also be made with about a pound of cooked, shredded chicken. So use up left over baked or rotisserie chicken!
Extra Tip 2: This is REALLY tasty with 2% Cheddar Cheese and low-fat/fat-free sour cream. So feel free to make this diet friendly.
Found your own use for this filling? Make sure you share it!
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Use an ice scream soup to place chilled filling on top of a bed of mixed salad greens. Top with a drizzle of Salsa Ranch dressing (for recipe, check out Quesadilla Salad Swap). I love this twist on a tradition!
- Mexican Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Cut sandwich size croissants in half ( to make sandwiches) Spread a good scoop of chicken mixture on each bottom half. Arrange chilled spinach leaves over chicken mixture. Spread Salsa Ranch dressing on cut side of croissant tops. Place tops, dressing side down, over spinach leaves. Just imagine serving at a summer party along side traditional Chicken Salad Sandwiches.
- Filling for Taquitoes, Chicken Enhiladas, or Chicken Quesadillas,.
- Just fill your choice of tortilla with filling and cook. Also makes a good filling for burritos and chicken tacos.
- Mexican-Style Chicken Dip
- Serve with tortilla chips, chilled or warmed. If serving warmed, after letting chicken and salsa sit, stir in only the taco seasoning and cheese. Microwave for up to 5 minutes, in 1-2 minute intervals, stirring often. Stir in sour cream just before serving.
- Sarah’s Salsa Chicken (claimingliberty.wordpress.com)
- Crock Pot Recipe: Salsa Chicken (thehappyhousewife.com)