A cheese-filled quiche in the microwave? It’s true!
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped broccoli, cooked and cooled
- 2 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheese
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- Extras: diced ham, crumbled bacon, diced (cooked) chicken
Place hash browns in a 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate that has been lightly coated with a cooking spray. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes or until thawed. Press onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of plate. You may need to use a fork to separate the hashbrowns. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes.
Sprinkle cheese, broccoli, and an extras (like diced ham) over potatoes.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over hashbrowns. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 5-7 minutes. If you do not have a lid for your pie plate, cover with plastic wrap and vent. Egg dishes can explode if the plastic wrap isn’t vented!
If eggs are really running when removed from microwave, continue to microwave in 1 minute increments. When knife inserted into the middle comes out clean, even if eggs aren’t completely set, let the dish stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Eggs will continue cooking during that 5 minutes.
Yield: 4-6 servings.
Variations and Tips
- Play with the ingredients ! Some people like fewer eggs, some like more!
- Try different kinds of cheeses!
- Replace the broccoli with spinach or add mushrooms. You know the motto: This is your egg and veggie bake, make it so you love it!!!
- For healthier options, go crustless, use egg whites or an egg substitute, or sub in low-fat dairy options…and don’t forget to up the veggies!!
Got a great quiche recipe? Share it!