√Fresh Food Option
Looking for a budget friendly, fresh-food option, one-pot dinner packed with veggies and protein? Look no further.
The Basic Ingredients:
- 1/2 – 1 pound sausage
- approx 2 cups of Chicken or Vegetable broth/stock
- 1/2 – 1 cup diced or shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- Cooked rice (optional)
I used a smoked Polish sausage for this recipe. However, you should use your favorite sausage. Cut into 1 inch pieces. A fancy way to cut the sausage is to slice it in half and then cut on an angle. You can also cut the pieces into smaller, bite size pieces.
Tips and Variations:
- To save time
- Use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic
- Use dried onions or frozen chopped onion instead of fresh
- Use one 14.5 oz can of broth instead of 2 cups of boxed or homemade stock
- Avoiding canned foods? Use dry black beans instead of canned beans. Dry beans can take 2 hours or more of simmering to cook. Pre-soaking black beans overnight will significantly reduce cooking time. Cover with 2 inches of water and allow for expansion in the container. Drain and rinse before using in this recipe.
- Vegetarian? No problem. This tastes awesome even when the sausage isn’t added.
- For a different flavors:
- Add bell pepper (or red peppers — in either case, core and seed before adding) with the onions instead of carrots. For a quick fix, you can often pick up chopped bell pepper or bell pepper onion mixes in the freezer section. No need to thaw.
- Instead of garlic and chicken broth, substitute 1-2 TBS chili powder and a can of stewed tomatoes.